Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineers are the designers of the mechanical, thermal and fluid-flow related aspects of all such systems, including computer and feedback control of complex system.
Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance.
Mechanical engineering education involves learning how to creatively apply a strong scientific and mathematical basis to the design of safe, reliable, environmentally sound, and cost effective systems.
Mechanical Engineers perform the basic research needed to advance knowledge in the engineering sciences.
mechanical engineering has expanded its applications area through combination with information, electronics, and optics technologies, as well as conducting full research and development on frontier technology of robots.
Mechanical Engineers play the main role in the design of all products and systems essential to everyday modern life-from home appliances, sports equipment and motor vehicles, to satellites, wheelchairs, airplanes, robots, solar panels, fuel cells, industrial equipment and environmental control systems.
The scope of mechanical engineering refers to the time or duration the student requires to finish the course. The scope for mechanical engineering students refers to excellence after completion of the course.
Mechanical engineers also work alongside physicians, therapists, and other medical professionals to investigate the workings of the human body and to design aids and instruments for medicine applications.
The work of mechanical engineers spans a number of different fields and disciplines, with a great deal of the emphasis being on the creation, design, construction, and installation of many of the mechanical devices that make modern life so comfortable.
Mechanical Engineering Functions
Four functions of the mechanical engineer can be cited.
- understanding and dealing with the bases of mechanical science
- the sequence of research, design, and development. This function attempts to bring about the changes necessary to meet present and future needs
- To produce the maximum value with the minimum investment and cost while maintaining or enhancing long term viability and reputation of the enterprise
- The co-ordinating function of the mechanical engineer, including management, consulting, and in some cases, marketing
Examples of what Mechanical Engineers do include:
- Mototor vehicle engine design to increase efficiency, reduce weight etc.
- Motor vehicle body and component design for function, aesthetics and aerodynamics
- Aircraft engine and body design, maintenance, condition monitoring and fault diagnosis
- Manufacturing equipment design, maintenance, condition monitoring and fault diagnosis
- Production planning in manufacturing or mining industries
- Quality control of manufactured products
- Environmental pollution control
- Occupational and environmental noise and vibration control
- Mechanical services in buildings –design and maintenance(e.g. air conditioning)
- Design and layout of ne w production lines for bulk manufacturing of products
- Introduction of new technology to increase efficiency in industry
- Computer modelling to improve products design and manufacturing processes
- Development of new materials(including polymers and steels)
- Design of spacecraft and associated launch hardware
- Aid worker, helping third world countries by installing essential services
- Water supply engineer responsible for operation of large pumping stations
- Electricity generation or distribution engineer responsible for installation and maintenance of power generation and powerdistribution equipment
- Gas turbine designer
- Technical manual writer
- Computer analyst developing new and more efficient products
Companies which provide opportunities
|DMRC electrical||TATA Group|
Computer basics, Engineering graphics, Basics of Electrical machinery, machine tools, management skills, Engineering Mechanics, fluid mechanics and machinery, Thermal Engineering, Manufacturing Technology, Theory of Machines, Mechatronics, CAD, CAM Robotics, Automobile Engineering, Metal Casting Science, Computer Integrated manufacturing and brief knowledge of programming, Estimation.
Basics of Computers, Basic Electrical & Electronics Lab, Computer aided drafting, Basic Workshop practice, Machine shop, fluid lab, Thermal lab, Mechanical Testing and Quality control lab, Mechatronics Lab, CNC and Casting Simulation Lab, C Programming and MAT lab, Parametric Solid Modelling lab, Thermal lab Communication & Analysis skill development, Project work.
For more information and syllabus refer the following website dte.kar.nic.in