Diploma in Civil Engineering
Civil engineering is the conventional branch of study in the engineering field. The course includes the study of planning, designing and implementation of structural activities.
Civil engineers build the world, literally speaking. They are responsible for analysis, design, construction, upgrading and maintenance of all forms of infrastructure for better quality of life and sustainable economy. The scope of civil engineering is multi-faceted and versatile, including civil engineer worked on public works projects and was contrasted with the military engineer, who worked on armaments and defenses. Over time, various branches of engineering have become recognized as distinct from civil engineering, including chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering, while much of military engineering has been absorbed by c ivil engineering.
Engineering is one of the most important fields in the world today; and civil engineering is the one that is at the foremost and can get you a job easily. It is the oldest branch which is still one of the relevant ones. With new buildings springing up every day, there are scores of jobs for civil engineers- graduates fresh and experienced alike, can easily find a job that is to their liking. Therefore, it is not hard to believe the high demand to join for a civil engineering course today. The job aspects come from small contractors to large ones; government agencies such as PWD, etc; consultancies and what not. The top companies include Shapoorji & Pallonji, Shobha Developers, L&T, DLF; and the list is endless.
Civil engineering is the oldest branch of engineering and incorporates the design and construction of roads, airports, tunnels, bridges, water supply and sewage systems, dams, harbours, railroad systems, docks, power supply systems, buildings and even nuclear power plants etc.
Civil engineering graduates are prepared for advanced graduate degrees and a wide range of career paths in civil engineering including consulting, governmental agencies, and industry.
Civil engineering is the application of physical and scientific principles for solving the problems of society, and its history is intricately linked to advances in understanding of physics and mathematics throughout history. Because civil engineering is a wide ranging profession, including several separate specialized sub-disciplines.
Civil Engineering has several specialities. Civil engineers work as construction engineers, transportation engineers, hydraulic and irrigation engineers, geotechnical engineers, environmental engineers, public works engineers.
Three types of scopes are
- Field Work or Designing depending on capability or talent like design or supervise the building,bridges,dams etc. or any other mega structure
- Teaching as there are very less person involve in this field so to teach the next generation is also a good option after completing your ME,PHD you can be a professor and earn more than 1Lac + per month
- Government exams in IES,IAS,PWD etc,
Role of Civil Engineers
A civil engineer has to conceive, plan, estimate, get approval, create and maintain all civil engineering activities. Civil engineer has very important role in the development of the following infrastructure:
- Measure and map the earth's surface
- Plan new townships and extension of existing towns
- Build the suitable structures for the rural and urban areas for various utilities
- Build tanks and dams to exploit water resources
- Build river navigation and flood control projects
- Build canals and distributaries to take water to agricultural fields
- Purify and supply water to the needy areas like houses, schools, offices etc
- Provide and maintain communication systems like roads, railways, harbors and airports
- Devise systems for control and efficient flow of traffic
- Provide and maintain solid and waste water disposal system
- Monitor land, water and air pollution and take measures to control them
Fast growing industrialization has put heavy responsibilities on civil engineers to preserve and protect environment
Other Specialized Fields
- Structural Engineering
- Water resources
- Construction technology
- Infrastructure and construction management
- Pre-stressed concrete structures
Companies which provide opportunities
|PWD||L & T|
|IES||Shapoorji & Pallonji|
| ||Prestige Groups and many more|
Latest Structures, designs
- Bangalore Metro
- UB Tower
Materials of Construction, Strength of Materials, Environmental Engg., Construction Technology, Surveying, Hydraulics, Water Resources Engineering, Concrete technology, Reinforced Concrete Structures, Design of Steel & Masonry Structures, Estimation, Transportation Engineering, Town Planning, Construction Management, Indian Constitution.
Basics of Computers, Engineering Drawing, Building Planning and Drawing, Irrigation & Bridge Drawing – both Manual and Computer aided Drafting. Materials Testing, Hydraulics, Environmental & Plumbing Practical, Construction Practice, Surveying Practice. Sufficient exposure of surveying in actual practice. Communication & Analysis skill development, Project work. Site Visits to various types of structures/ buildings at different stages of construction, Visit to water treatment / sewage treatment plant.
For more information and syllabus refer the following website dte.kar.nic.in