Technology is touching every aspect of life and society. So, there is a dire need of backing up conventional study and teaching with technical education, as it will not only help in the development of the country, but also the person possessing those skills. A technically sound person is never short of jobs. Thus, technical education as per the needs of the present market will assist in uplifting society. Technical education is a part of education that is directly related to the gaining of information and skills needed in manufacturing and service industries. Technical education is a skill-based education that primarily keeps the job prospects in mind. It provides training to the individual in a specific field.
Due to technological advancement and automation in industry, it is imperative to have more technical support personnel, with hands-on practical training and relevant theoretical knowledge in maintenance of Electrical, Electronic and Mechanical equipment, Construction and maintenance of buildings, apartments, highways and fly-overs, in the Civil Sector, PC servicing and maintenance in the hardware sector, construction of micro-processer based teaching models, aids and computer-aided machines. In order to augment these activities, industry is now turning towards Diploma Holders for big recruitment. Such Personnel are the key vertebra of industrial growth at the grass root-level. Diploma education is more focused on industry and industry-institute interactive programs to develop skill, knowledge and learning ability of a student, understanding the various functional activities across a wide spectrum and cross-section of an industry. These programs help the Diploma students to excel in today’s competitive business world. Institutions having a good relationship with industry ensure that students get an opportunity to execute industry relevant organizational projects. With the introduction of semester system from the year 2003, teaching contents have been changed and the burden on a student is reduced, making room for more creativity in learning and fostering potentialities of the individual pupil and his interested needs and aptitudes.
Advantages of Diploma Course
- Professional Course at affordable Cost
- Technical Professional at Younger Age
- More Practical Knowledge with Theoretical Background
- Good Communication & Documentation Skills
- Lateral Entry into 2nd Year Engineering Course
- Engineering Course will be easier for Diploma holders
- Students can earn while learning
- Evening Engineering (B.E) colleges are there only for Diploma holders to work in day and study in evening
- Financial weaker students can opt correspondence course A.M.I.E which is equivalent to Bachelor of Engineering (B.E)
- Diploma Holders are practically better placed and directly fit into relevant technical posts at the grass root level
- At present, good career opportunities are available for Diploma Holders both in Government and Private sectors
Higher Education Scope
- B.E - 3 years course. Diploma students are eligible to lateral entry to III semester of B.E
- A.M.I.E- Student can do correspondence course of A.M.I.E which is equivalent to B.E With Two years Experience after successful completion of the Diploma Course, Diploma holders can earn while they learn – work during day and attend an evening college to pursue their B.E. Programme
- The academic term is based on the semester system
- The odd semesters viz. I, III & V semester- July to November/December
- The even semester viz. II, IV, VI semesters - November/December to April/May
Tests And Assignments:
- Internal tests are conducted in each semester in all subjects
- Subject notes, lab records, workshop diaries, drawing files, assignments, lab observations, etc. are inspected regularly by the concerned staff
- Internal assessment marks are added to the Final Exam marks in each subject. These marks help in adding to the percentage of marks in each subject
In each semester, the candidate has to put in a minimum attendance of 75% in each subject with a provision of condonation of 15% of the attendance by the Secretary, Board of Technical Examination on the specific recommendation of the Principal on the reasons such as medical grounds, International/ National/ State level sports, NCC, NSS.
Continuous Internal Evaluation (CIE)
In Theory course, the weightage of Continuous Internal Evaluation (CIE) is 50% and for Semester End Exam (SEE) is 50%. The student has to obtain minimum of 40% marks individually both in CIE and SEE to pass. However Semester End Exam (SEE) is conducted for 100 marks (3 Hours duration).
In Practical course, the weightage of Continuous Internal Evaluation (CIE) is 60% and for Semester End Exam (SEE) is 40%. The student 11 has to obtain minimum of 40% marks individually both in CIE and SEE to pass. However Semester End Exam (SEE) is conducted for 100 marks (3 Hrs duration). Grading will be awarded based on both CIE and SEE assessments.
The Continuous Internal Evaluation (CIE) is based on the student’s performance in Internal Assessment tests, Skill tests, Multiple choice questions, Open book tests, Student activity, Mini project, Quizzes, Assignments, Seminars, Viva-voce in practical, lab record etc as specified in respective course curriculum.
For Internship / Projects / Seminar etc. Evaluation is based on work done, quality of report, performance in viva-voce, presentation etc.
Mapping of Marks to Grades:
Each course is to be assigned 100 marks, irrespective of the number of credits, and the mapping of marks to grades may be done as per the following table:
Minimum Pass Marks
The student has to obtain minimum of 40% marks individually both in Internal tests (CIE) and Semester End Examination (SEE) to pass. However Semester End Exam (SEE) is conducted for 100 marks (3 Hours duration). Grading will be awarded based on both CIE and SEE assessments.
Eligibility and Promotion for the Examinations:
There shall not be any restriction for promotion from odd semester to even semester, provided the candidate has registered his/her name for the examination for the semester and has fulfilled the attendance requirement.
A candidate is eligible for promotion from even semester to odd semester (i.e to next academic year) provided, the candidate has not failed in more than four subjects of lower semester examinations.
- For example:
A candidate seeking eligibility to 3rd semester should not have failed in more than 4 subjects of first and second semesters put together.
A candidate seeking eligibility to 5th semester should not have failed in more than 4 subjects of 1st to 4th semesters put together.
Classification of successful candidates:
After the conversion of final CGPA into percentage of marks (P), a graduating student is declared to have passed and eligible to award diploma in:
(i) First Class with Distinction (FCD) if P ≥ 70%
(ii) First Class (FC) if P ≥ 60% but <70%
(iii) Second Class (SC) if ≥ 40% but <60%
Award Of Foundation / Associateship Certificates And Diploma
A candidate is eligible for award of Foundation/ Associateship certificate and Diploma Certificate if he / she fulfils the following academic regulations.
i. He / she has passed and earned requisite credits of 1st year Diploma programme as prescribed in the curriculum is eligible to be awarded “Certificate of Foundation” in the respective programme.
ii. He / she has passed and earned requisite credits of 1st and 2nd year Diploma programme as prescribed in the curriculum is eligible to be awarded “Certificate of Proficiency” in the respective programme.
iii. He / she has passed and earned requisite credits of 3 year Diploma programme as prescribed in the curriculum is eligible to be awarded “Diploma” in the respective programme.
iv. The candidates are allowed to take multiple entry and multiple exit from any of the semesters in the diploma programme. However a candidate wishing to take re-entry to the diploma programme after a break, is allowed to the subsequent semester in the respective programme on merit basis (at the institutional level) within the sanctioned intake of the programme.
Maximum Period For Completion Of Diploma Courses
Maximum period for completion of the course shall be thrice the duration of the course from the date of First admission (includes the period of detention and discontinuation of studies by student etc) failing which they will have to forfeit the claim for qualifying for the award of Diploma They will not be permitted to appear for examinations after that date). This rule
Eligibility For Award Of Diploma
A candidate is eligible for award of Diploma certificate if he / she fulfil the following academic regulations
- he / She pursued a course of study for not less than 2 / 3 academic years & not more than 6 / 9 academic Years.
- He / she has completed aII the subjects
Students who fail to fulfill all the academic requirements for the award of the Diploma within 6 / 9 academic Years from the year of admission shall forfeit their seat in the course & their seat shall stand cancelled.
Admission Procedure Eligibility Criteria
- Diploma 3 Years Course (Full Time)
- A pass in Class X or its equivalent examination with 35% marks
- The student must have studied English as one of the subjects in Class X
- Non-Karnataka students should obtain Eligibility Certificate issued by the Department of Technical Education, Govt. of Karnataka
- Karnataka students who have passed class X in ICSE or CBSE should obtain Eligibility Certificate issued by the Department of Technical Education, Government of Karnataka
- Diploma 2 Years Course (Full Time)
- A pass in 2/3 years ITI in Karnataka or A pass in PUC (Science)
- Student should have studied in Karnataka State for a minimum of 5 years from 1st Standard to ITI(2/3 Years)
Documents to be produced at the time of admission
Application in the prescribed form for admission should reach the admission office within the date prescribed by the Directorate of Technical Education, accompanied by the following:
- Original 10th standard Marks Card + 2 Photocopies
- Original Transfer Certificate + 2 Photocopies
- 5 Years Study Certificate in case of Karnataka Students with BEO signature + 2 Photocopies
- Eligibility Certificate in case of all Non-Karnataka Students
- Eligibility Certificate only in case of Karnataka students who have passed CBSE or ICSE examinations
- Latest photographs - 5 Nos. of stamp size and 5 nos. of passport Size Photos
- Physical fitness certificate ( Medical Certificate )
- Latest Caste and Income certificate for SC/ST students
- I.T.I Marks cards in case of I.T.I students entering to II year on lateral entry basis
- PUC Marks cards in case of PU students entering to II year on lateral entry basis
Department of Technical Education
BES Institute Of Technology is affiliated to the Department of Technical Education Curriculum dtek.karnataka.gov.in and evaluation system developed by the Karnataka State Council for Technical Education to meet the human resources needs of industry, service sector, Public sector, Government Departments and are designed for self employment.
All the diploma courses offered by BES Institute of Technology are approved by the All India Council for Technical Education www.aicte-india.org. Diploma Holders of are recognized for the purpose of recruitment of all subordinate posts and services under state Government, Central Government Undertaking and various Public Sector and Private Sector, Companies of the country and abroad.